LANSING – Car accidents are on the rise in Michigan, according to a recent study that has identified the most dangerous intersections across the state using Michigan State Police data to compile the findings.
Michigan Auto Law conducted the research and found that 15 out of the 20 most dangerous intersections across the state happen to be in the metro Detroit area (You can see the full list below). The firm hopes that their findings will convince drivers to be more careful in these areas, or even avoid them all together.
Additional research conducted by the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center shows that car accidents and motorcycle fatalities saw significant increases in 2022, including;
- 4% increase in motor vehicle crashes overall.
- 28% increase in work zone crashes, including a 15% increase in work zone fatalities.
- 4% increase in motorcyclist fatalities.
Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) Director Anita Fox urged safe driving to safe lives and lower costs amid an increase in reported motor vehicle crashes.
“Consistent with an unfortunate trend we have seen over the last few years, the Michigan State Police has once again reported a significant increase in traffic crashes in Michigan,” said Fox. “We urge Michiganders to slow down, drive safely, and follow all traffic laws to help reduce the risk of accidents and serious injury. Driving safely can also help reduce the risk of serious financial hardship, as vehicle repair and replacement costs remain higher than normal.”
There were three slightly positive findings. The number of traffic fatalities decreased in 2022 by 1% to 1,123. Teen traffic fatalities dropped 34% to 55 deaths in 2022, while the percentage of alcohol-involved fatalities also fell by 10% from 357 deaths in 2021 to 322 in 2022. These decreases are attributed to statewide campaigns targeting teens regarding distracted driving and stronger crackdowns on drunk driving.
What Were Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections in 2022?
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Warren/Centerline, 207 Total Crashes, 41 Injuries
- SCHOOLCRAFT RD @ TELEGRAPH RD, Redford Township, 126 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Township, 126 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries (Roundabout)
- 18 1/2 MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 118 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries (Roundabout)
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, 110 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- 10 MILE RD @ I 94, St. Clair Shores, 103 Total Crashes, 2 Fatalities, 28 Injuries
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, 101 Total Crashes, 34 Injuries
- MIDDLE BELT RD @ SCHOOLCRAFT RD, Livonia, 99 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- US 131 @ WEALTHY ST, Grand Rapids, 98 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- STATE RD @ ELLSWORTH RD, Ann Arbor, 93 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries (Roundabout)
- 12 MILE RD @ I 94, Roseville, 90 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- HALL RD @ SCHOENHERR RD, Sterling Heights, 84 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ HOOVER, Warren, 83 Total Crashes, 1 Fatality, 17 Injuries
- 6 MILE RD @ I 96/I 275, Livonia, 83 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
- HALL RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Utica, 82 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- DIX AVE @ M 39, Lincoln Park, 81 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- BURTON ST SW @ US 131, Grand Rapids, 78 Total Crashes, 35 Injuries
- DIXIE HWY @ I 75, Bridgeport Township, 76 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- FARMINGTON RD @ W MAPLE RD, West Bloomfield Township, 76 Total Crashes, 7 Injuries
- 7 MILE RD @ I 75, Detroit, 71 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
Traffic Court Buddy can help!
At Traffic Court Buddy, we believe that every individual should have access to legal representation for any traffic-related charges. From tickets to forfeiture of vehicles, we make it our mission to help provide all the facts to help ensure you receive the minimum possible penalties for any alleged infraction. If you need traffic court representation, reach out today!